Student Life Events
SHARP - Self Defense Classes
Sexual Harassment And Rape Prevention is a unisex self-defense course that is founded on statistic-based research and focuses on what is real and what works. By emphasizing the principal that less is best, SHARP material is kept simple so it is easy to learn, and more importantly, is easy to retain and use. Focus is placed on identifying threatening behaviors and avoiding them while providing physical skills in case avoidance fails.
Bringing in the Bystander
This prevention program emphasizes a bystander intervention approach and assumes that everyone has a role to play in ending violence against women. It teaches bystanders how to safely intervene in instances where an incident may be occurring or where there may be risk.
The Emerging Leaders program offered by First Year Experience and Student Life has begun. Applications are being accepted now until Friday, December 11, 2015. This is a great opportunity to develop leadership skills. Please contact Andrea Mitchen at email@example.com Electronic applications are available at the following link:
The Emerging Leader program is an opportunity for students to develop and strengthen leadership skills. Emerging Leaders will demonstrate the ability to:
- Identify small group roles and dynamics
- Utilize active listening skills: listen and reflect content
- Understand leadership
- Understand personal strengths and how to maximize talents
- Develop feelings of self confidence
- Develop relationships and build networks both within and beyond organization boundaries
- Discuss cultural differences and issues
- Encourage and practice involvement with a diversity of people
Emerging Leaders are required to attend a half day retreat in January and two workshops/activities per month in the Spring 2015 semester.
- Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average
- Prefer students who will be returning for the Fall 2015 semester
- Able to provide name and contact information of two references, including one from a staff or faculty member at San Jacinto College on attached application.
- Resume is required. If you need assistance creating/updating a resume, please contact Career and Employment at 281-998-6150 ext. 7656 or visit their website at http://www.sanjac.edu/career-center.
- Program t-shirt(s)
- Development of leadership and communication skills
- Opportunity to develop professional relationships with faculty, staff and other students
- Résumé’ enhancement