Emergency Response and Evacuation Procedures
In some emergency situations, such as severe weather, utility failures, etc., an evacuation of the campus may be ordered by the Chancellor or his/her designee. A campus evacuation or closure is an organized withdrawal from campus facilities where the time of return is determined by the circumstances of the emergency or event. When such action is warranted, you will be appropriately advised by the College Emergency Notification Systems.
When notified to evacuate the campus because of inclement weather, immediately proceed with Back-Up and Pack-Up Procedures securing offices and instructional areas to protect equipment and critical documents.
A building evacuation is most commonly initiated by the building’s fire alarm system. When the building fire alarm sounds:
- Evacuate the building immediately, calmly, and quickly.
- Carry all personal items, i.e. books, purses, etc. as you may not be allowed back in the building.
- Walk to the nearest exit/stairwell (Close doors behind you).
- Do not use elevators.
- Proceed to designated area outside the building moving as far away from the building as possible. Do not stand on porch areas.
- Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrant areas, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- Do not re-enter building until cleared by authorized personnel.
- Assist with the evacuation of individuals with special needs.